3-ingredient coconut macaroons! (Madame Cocos Copycat) Use sweetened condensed coconut milk for a lactose-free version. These macaroons are gluten free too.
In The Netherlands, we have a concept called “Madame Cocos“. They sell fresh made coconut macaroons but also sell tubs of macaroon “dough”. A few weeks back my “bro-in-law” bought a bag of these macaroons. The shop is super cute and they sell all kinds of macaroons: regular, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and rum and raisins. So good. I’m not sure how much my sis’ bf paid for the fresh macaroons, but when I saw the tubs of “dough” for € 5,50 each on their website I was a bit shocked! (One tub makes 8 large macaroons) And so I decide to make my own recipe (as usual). Coconut macaroons are really super easy to make. Really. Anyone can do this; it’s a matter of stirring. In addition to needing no skills, this recipe takes only three ingredients! Three! So if you’re a true coconut lover, you can’t skip this easy treat. This recipe makes 10 macaroons and the ingredients will cost you about € 3,50.
If you want to make these macaroons with chocolate: add a handful of chocolate chips (dark or white). You also make regular macaroons, dip them in melted chocolate and let it set on a piece of baking paper. Should you want to make rum and raisins: add a splash of rum aroma to the “dough” and throw in a handful of (soaked) raisins. Easy as pie. I know, it’s crazy easy, right?
- 200 g desiccated coconut
- 200 g sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the grated coconut and condensed coconut milk. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the egg white until stiff.
- Fold the egg white into the coconut mixture.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop balls of mixture onto the baking tray.
- Bake the macaroons 23-25 minutes at 160C or until golden brown.
- Let the macaroons cool at least 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- If you want flavor variations, read the post above.