One of my boyfriend’s favorites: Creamy lemon stuffed bars with a crunchy topping. Effortless treats and only 6 ingredients!
A while ago, I was browsing through my recipe index (yes I browse through my own recipe index. Don’t judge haha..) and noticed I haven’t shared my recipe for lemon bars with you guys yet. Strange, because lemon bars are one of my bf’s absolute favorites. And they’re not only his favorite, but mine too. But can you blame us? Lemon bars are creamy, sweet AND have a crunchy topping. All at the same time! I just love sweet desserts with a hint of sour. And did I mention the size of these bars? Bite-size that is. Super easy to eat. Perfect for parties. Honestly, you won’t need to take out the plates for these babies, some (fancy) napkins will do just fine (in my lazy opinion anyway).
To make these bars you’ll need just two components. Yes, two! You’ll need a dough, which you’ll use for the base ánd the crumbles, and a lemon cream mixture. Both of these are just super easy to make.
For the dough, you’ll rub some butter, flour, confectioner’s sugar and salt together until you get a crumbly mixture. You can either use a pastry cutter or your fingers. The latter is quite a workout. And that’s it for the dough. Press about 3/4 of the mixture in the pan and reserve the rest for the crumbles.
For the lemon cream, you’ll need sweetened condensed milk and lemons. Use both lemon juice and lemon zest for the perfect lemon bars. Mix the ingredients until combined and pour it onto your base.
Scatter the crumbles on top of the lemon cream and you’re ready to throw it all into the oven. Make sure you’ve lined your baking pan with baking paper, because it makes the bars so much easier to remove from the pan once they’ve cooled. See how these lemon bars are dangerously easy? And trust me when I tell you they don’t taste or look easy at all! The perfect way to mislead your guests. No effort, maximum flavor.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 130 mL lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- zest of the lemons
- 240 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g unsalted butter, cold
- 15 g confectioner's sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a brownie pan with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon zest until combined. Set aside.
- Rub the butter, sugar and salt to a crumbly mixture.
- Press 3/4 of the crumble mixture in the bottom of the brownie pan.
- Pour in the milk mixture and spread out evenly.
- Scatter the rest of the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake the lemon crumble 40-50 minutes at 180 C or until the crumbles are golden brown.
- Let the lemon bars cool completely before cutting into bars.