Fluffy, buttery muffins with a crunchy topping of crumbs and filled with soft pieces of apple. These spiced muffins are better than store-bought.
Here I go again with the muffins. Sorry -not so sorry-, I just love love love making muffins. They’re so easy to make and easy to eat on-the-go too. Today, I’ll show you how to make the best moist and fluffy apple muffins with a crunchy crumbly top. These muffins are loaded with cinnamon so they’re perfect for this season. For this recipe, I used Gala apples. Why? Because I had those on hand and was too lazy to take another trip to the supermarket lol. You can basically use any apples you like. Granny Smith’s would be great too. It just depends on what kind of apples you like. So be lazy like me and use whatever you have on hand.
Unlike most of my muffins, I used butter for these muffins. I feel like the buttery flavor complements the apple and cinnamon well. You could subsitute with oil if you like. The muffins will be slightly softer and (ofcourse) less rich. It’s a matter of taste. In addition, I usually use a mixture of vinegar and milk in my muffins. This is basically the same as buttermilk. However, for this recipe, coincidentally, I had some leftover buttermilk so I used buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, just substitute it with 225 mL regular milk + 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar. I do it all the time. Easy as pie. Why make life more difficult than you have to, right?
The crumbs are even easier than the muffins. You’ll only need some flour, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix it together and you’re done. That’s it! Muffins are such a quick treat. These are perfect for tea time, but taste great the next day too. I can’t think of any reason not to make this. (Except apple allergies maybe..)
- 385 g all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large apple*, chopped
- 120 g unsalted butter, softened
- 180 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 240 mL buttermilk**
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 60 g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a cupcake tray with large muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt for the muffins.
- Take one tablespoon of the flour mixture and mix it with the chopped apple. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one by one.
- Add half of the remaining flour mixture and half of the buttermilk. Mix until combined.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture and the buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Fold in the apple mixture. Set aside.
- For the crumb topping, mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter until a crumbly mixture is formed.
- Divide the batter over the muffin liners and scatter the crumb mixture on top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins 7 minutes at 220C and 8-11 minutes at 190C.***
- *I used Gala, but you can use any kind of apple you like.
- ** Make your own buttermilk by mixing 225 mL milk with 15 mL white vinegar. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- *** If using small muffin liners, thus making 15-16 muffins from this batter, the muffins will need less time at 190C. About 5-7 minutes.