Soft and fluffy almond muffins with chunks of almond and chocolate chips! Finished with a buttery crunchy streusel top.
A while back my boyfriend planned to visit his old colleagues and asked me if I had time to bake a something delicious for him to bring along as a treat. As almond muffins were on my to-do list for a while (and as I haven’t baked any muffins for a while), I decided to make chocolate chips almond muffins for him. Bakery style. Fragrant and (ofcourse) super soft. As a bonus, I added buttery crunchy streusel on top. That’s right, streusel! Cause, who doesn’t like streusel, right? These muffins are super fluffy with chunks of almond (and chocolate!) and a delicious crunchy muffin top. And did you know muffins are crazy easy too? I love baking muffins. No fuss and little dishes 😉
Muffins or cupcakes?
- 385 g all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 225 mL milk
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 eggs (L)
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 120 mL vegetable oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 150 g chocolate chips
- 50 g almonds, roughly chopped
- 50 g brown sugar
- 50 g all purpose flour
- 75 g unsalted butter,cubed and cold
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 220 C and line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
- In a bowl, shortly mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Take one tablespoon of the flour mixture and mix it with the chocolate chips and almonds. Set aside.
- In a cup, mix the milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the streusel to a crumbly mixture. Set aside in the fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until combined.
- Mix in the oil and almond extract.
- Fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Take care not to overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chip/almond mixture until just combined.
- Divide the batter over the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture and some extra chocolate chips on top of the muffins.
- Bake the muffins 5 minutes at 220 C. Then, turn the heat down to 190 C and bake for another 7 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.