Best fudgy, but firm, brownies in the world. One Bowl. Suitable for vegans. 100% dairy free. Even non-vegans will go crazy over these brownies. You will never eat any other brownie again.
Hello chocoholics! How’s everyone? I’m having a bit of a down-day, but still trying to push through though 🙂 There’s a short story I need to get off my chest today. It’s totally non-food related so feel free to skip to the next paragraph for foodtalk 😉 This morning, I went to the doctor and unfortunately it wasn’t my regular doctor (he’s great!). I didn’t go for something super serious by the way (no worries). The thing is though, this doctor was horrible. This woman just couldn’t listen to me. Every time I started talking, she would blab right through my story or finish my sentence for me (WTF?!). And she kept asking the same question over and over again even though I already answered it like a gazillion times! I seriously think she wasn’t listening to a word I said. In addition, she kept writing down my symptoms wrong and twisting my words. Éven after I corrected her multiple times. Also, at the end she blamed me that the appointment took more time than planned. The whole reason the appointment took too long was because she was all over the place! I was trying to get to the point and get out of there, but she kept asking the same questions and misunderstanding what I was saying! I’m still upset about it, even though I know I shouldn’t be lol. Silver lining: She decided to refer me to another doctor, because she couldn’t figure out the problem. There, end of rant. Back to food.
Today I’ll be sharing the BEST brownies EVER with you guys. They’re vegan, dairy-free ánd you’ll only need one bowl for the batter. Isn’t that awesome? I know. I’m so excited to share these with you guys. Seriously. Been excited ever since I pulled this awesome batch from the oven! Food makes me so happy.
So how are these brownies vegan? You won’t believe it, but there are only two simple steps:
- One, I swapped the eggs for silken tofu. Don’t worry, you won’t taste any tofu. This swap was quite a quest, because -as it turns out- you can’t swap silken tofu and eggs one on one.
- Two, instead of milk, I used soy milk. You could also use any other dairy free milk if you like. Keep in mind that coconut milk will (obviously) change the flavor. Almond milk or rice milk are good options too.
And that’s it. Easy, right? These brownies are seriously one of the best things I’ve ever made. Hands down. It took me a bit of testing: first batch wouldn’t firm up (liquid chocolate brownies, had to remove molten chocolate from the recipe, still yummy though) second batch.. well, let’s just say it couldn’t be called a brownie nor a cake nor anything baked for that matter haha.. A few batches later I finally got it right! I think I was jumping around when I taste tested these. My boyfriend had to laugh lol. Trust me, you have to make these brownies for the weekend. And if you’re on a diet: Just pretend it’s healthy cause it’s vegan lol.
- 90 g silken tofu
- 160 mL unsweetened soy milk
- 125 mL vegetable oil
- 200 g (organic cane) sugar
- 140 g all-purpose flour
- 60 g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 150C and line a square baking pan (about 23x23cm) with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a blender, mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan.
- Bake the brownies about 25-30 minutes at 150C or until the top looks set.
- Let the brownies cool at least 20 minutes before cutting.