Zingy, creamy lime mini pies on a ginger spiced crunchy base. Top with a large dollop of whipped cream and serve with a cup of hot tea. Perfect for high teas or for your afternoon sweet-cravings.
Hello my beautiful foodies! How are you guys doing? I wasn’t feel too well last week, so I decided to take a week off writing and have a “me”-week. As some of you guys might know, I’m nearing the end of my time as a student. Now, this would make a whole lot of people happy, but not me… It stresses me out! What job to choose? Will I love it? Will I hate it? I DON’T KNOW! Anxiety disorder to the max… Don’t worry though, I’ve been baking like crazy! Working on some gluten free recipes that you’ll LOVE. Simple, easy and (ofcourse) delicious. However, today will be something else: Ginger Lime Mini Pies. I will tell you why this has to land in your tummies.
You will be making three quick and super easy components for this recipe. To start, you will make the base: a thick, fragrant, sweet and super crunchy ginger-base. The most important part to this base is the spice-mix: ground ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Mix it up with some cold butter, brown sugar, flour and press the mixture in your muffin pan. Pop the pan in the oven for some baking and you’re done! This base tastes like ginger cookies but better. Especially when combined with the lime pie filling. The flavors fit perfectly. Furthermore, the recipe is so simple and (most of all) quick…. Don’t get tempted to get some store-bought cheesecake-base with hocus-pocus ingredients, but make these.
Moving on to the lime pie filling, you will need just three ingredients: egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and limes. It’s as easy as pie *ba-dumtss…* (bad joke, I know haha..) Separate the limes into zest and juice, mix it up with the yolks and milk, and your filling is ready. Yes, I’m not kidding. Pour the filling on top of your base and bake until the center is soft (but not wobbly). Bring it to room temperature and store for about 1 hour in the fridge to set the filling completely. To add the finishing touch, top the mini pies with some unsweetened whipped cream right before serving. It will balance out the sweetness of the lime pie and add some creamyness to your creation. Serve these with a cuppa tea and your guests will be amazed, guaranteed!
- 120 g flour
- 70 g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 70 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 300 mL sweetened condensed milk
- 4 limes, zest and juice
- 250 mL whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, using your hands or a fork, mix the ingredients for the base to a dough.
- Press about a tablespoon of base in every hole of the muffin pan.
- Bake the base 15-20 minutes at 170C or until golden brown.
- Remove the base from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Turn the oven down to 150C.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the filling until you get a smooth mixture. The mixture will thicken.
- Pour the mixture on top of the base.
- Bake the pies for 15-20 minutes at 150C. The pies will be ready when the filling is still soft, but not wobbly. Let it cool completely, cover and store in fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve the pies with unsweetened whipped cream.