Fragrant char siu meat made from chicken thighs. This version is leaner than BBQ pork, but tastes exactly the same. Serve as protein for dinner or turn it into an amazing bapao filling.
As I mentioned before, my mom used to make us two kinds of pao’s for us: nai wong pau and char siu pao. I love both pao’s, but if I had to choose char siu pau is my favorite. Whenever we go for dim sum, I always have to have char siu pau! However, at home, we rarely eat pork. Me and my boyfriend mostly eat beef, fish and chicken. The only time I eat pork is when my dad prepares it. To satisfy my char siu craving, I decided to try and make a char siu recipe using chicken instead pork. And guess what? Turns out, it’s just as good, easier ánd faster! Even my dad said it tastes the same. My dad’s gf even thought it was pork! Awesomeballs, right? 😀
The recipe is super easy and the ingredients should be readily available to just about anyone too. All you have to do is to throw everything in the bag, let it marinate for a couple of hours and slap it on a grill. That’s it! Make sure you use chicken thighs and nog chicken breast. Chicken thighs are so much more juicy than chicken breast, which you really need when making char siu meat. Ans that’s all I can tell you about this recipe. Yup, it’s that easy! Serving suggestions are:
- with white rice and cucumber
- diced and sautéed with onions as pao filling
- shredded in a salad.
Dig in! 😉
What would you serve this char siu chicken with?
- 700 g boneless chicken thighs
- 1-2 cm ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 100 mL hoisin sauce
- 100 mL ketchup
- 100 mL honey
- 1½ Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp rice wine
- ¼ tsp 5-spice powder
- red food coloring (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a zip-loc bag.
- Marinate at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Heat a grillpan on medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken thighs 4-6 minutes one each side or until fully cooked through.
- Serve with white rice, dice to make pao-filling or shred for a salad.