Rich, chewy chocolate chip cookies ready in less than 30 minutes! Throw them straight in the oven from the bowl and you’re set. Glass of milk mandatory 😉
Brr.. It’s so cold right now in The Netherlands. To be honest, the weather isn’t too bad for this time of the year but we recently found out the heating of our apartment isn’t working. Restoring will cost us a couple of hundred euros. Now, the costs isn’t even our biggest problem. Nope. Because we have floor heating, we’ll have to remove everything from our apartment to be able to restore the heating/floor… That’s a whole lot of time and work! And as we’re planning on buying a house in the near future, we decided to die of cold (okay that’s over-dramatic lol) for one winter rather than investing time, money ánd effort on an apartment that’s rental. I guess less heating is better for the environment too so win-win? Hehe… Also, we discovered the heat of our oven is able to keep our living room (open kitchen) semi-warm so it looks like I’ll have to do some extra baking this winter. What a disappointment, huh? 😉
Anyway, last week I was craving chocolate chip cookies SO.BAD. I kept thinking of these chocolate chip cookies I had in my childhood. I didn’t know it back then, but I fell in love with the molassy flavor of the cookies. It was really hard -if not impossible- to find the cookies I had in mind at the grocery store so I decided to make my own. And they turned out so yummy! Thick, chewy, soft with plenty of chocolate chips. Sometimes I like crunchy chocolate chip cookies, but this was exactly what I at when I was little.
The trick to these chocolate chips cookies is using all brown sugar. There’s not a grain of plain white granulated sugar. By using all brown sugar, these cookies get that deep molasses flavor. Combine it with chocolate chips and you’ve got yourself the best tasting cookie there is.
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 80 g unsalted butter
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (soy)milk
- 100 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar until combined.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until you get a dry dough.
- Mix in the milk. Keep stirring until a cookie dough is formed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1-2 Tbsp of cookie dough onto the sheet and press the cookie dough lightly onto the sheet. Repeat until there's no more space on the baking mat. Leave the cookie doughs about 3 cm apart for spreading.
- Bake the cookies 12 minutes at 180C. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool before transferring to a plate or rack.*
- *If you like, you can press some additional chocolate chips on top right after baking.