Amazingly easy steamed rice with pieces of chicken breast and taro! This dish takes little prepping, is packed with flavor, AND it’s healthy and delicious too.
As I wrote in one of my previous posts, life’s quite hectic at the moment. I’m trying to balance all aspects of life and still feel relaxed (which I find pretty difficult ^^” ) In addition, the cold (finally) got a hold of me (yes, just when Spring’s about to happen), so I’m sniffing and coughing away as I typ (TMI, i know haha.. sorry). Anyway, because time’s limited and I don’t feel very well, today’s post won’t be full of promising words to persuade you to make this super easy, simple, fragrant rice dish packed with soft, creamy taro (aka yam) and lots of chicken. No, instead, I will let the foodporn and recipe speak for itself :3 So, sit back and enjoy this recipe, while I’m going to try and get some extra sleep 🙂
What do you like to eat with steamed rice?
- 350 g taro, peeled and cubed
- 300 g chicken breast, cubed
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, soaked, drained and cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1½ cup rice, washed, rinsed and drained
- 480 mL water
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp ketjap manis
- 3 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 dashes black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Mix water and chicken powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok on medium high heat and add cooking oil.
- Stir-fry the shallots and garlic until aromatic.
- Add the chicken breast, sear all sides and cook until approximately 50% done. Don't cook it fully through or it will become dry after steaming.
- Add mushrooms and taro. Stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice and seasonings. Stir until everything is mixed evenly.
- Add water, give it a good mix and transfer everything to the rice cooker.
- Cook rice as usual in the rice cooker and serve as is or with vegetables.