Flavorful firm tofu stuffed with meat, covered in thick oyster sauce. Serve with hot steamed rice.
When I was little I was a very picky eater. This (amazingly easy) savoury egg custard was one of the few dishes I loved. It took me quite a few years to really appreciate my dad’s amazing cooking skills! Nowadays, there’s not enough time in a year to (eat and) learn how to make all my dad’s food. But we’ve gotta start somewhere and today’s one of the dishes my dad taught me: Yong Tau Fu, chinese stuffed tofu. It’s easy and super delicious. Trust me, once you’ve tried this, you’ll be addicted.
What’s your favorite family-dish?
- 190 g ground pork
- 2-3 pcs shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp corn starch
- ½ tsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh tofu, cut into 10 rectangles
- 2½ tsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cm ginger, smashed
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 60 mL boiling water
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2½ tsp corn starch
- 3 Tbsp cold water
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- In a food processor, pulse the ground pork, shallots, corn starch, oyster sauce, sugar, salt and pepper until smooth. The shallots should be finely chopped.
- Add the shrimps and pulse a couple more times. You'll want to have chunks of shrimps for texture. Set aside.
- Using a teaspoon, make small wells in the tofu.
- Cover the surface of each well with about ¼ teaspoon corn starch.
- Fill each well with about 1 teaspoon of meat filling. Press the meat lightly, but firmly, into the tofu. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil on medium high heat.
- Add the smashed ginger and garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add the stuffed tofu, meat side down, and fry until golden brown.
- Flip the tofu over and add the boiling water*, oyster sauce and sugar.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let it cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes (or until meat is fully cooked through).
- Remove the tofu from the skillet (leave sauce in the pan).
- Mix corn starch with with cold water and immediately add it to the pan, while stirring. Stir until mixed evenly.
- Add sesame oil and cook the sauce until it has the desired thickness.
- Pour sauce on top of stuffed tofu and serve immediately.
- * If you use cold water, bring it to a boil before moving on to the next step.