Creamy coconut custard with a chocolate cookie base and crunchy chocolate crumbles. Cut into delicious bite-size bars and sprinkled with grated coconut.
Hi lovelies. Today, we’re going to talk about coconut and chocolate. Because coconut and chocolate are a match made in heaven. I’ve combined these flavors to make crumble bars. A base of chocolate, topped with coconut custard and finished with crunchy chocolate crumbles. Even if you don’t really like coconut, you might like these. The coconut flavor isn’t too heavy. But you can also easily turn these into vanilla chocolate crumble bars.
To make these bars, you don’t need a whole lot of ingredients. The custard is made of the standard ingredients (coconut milk, eggs, sugar and corn starch). If you want to go for the vanilla chocolate version, just substitute the coconut milk with regular milk and add a splash of vanilla extract (or a vanilla bean) to make vanilla custard instead of coconut custard.
The base and the crumbles are made of the same mixture, let’s call it a cookie mixture. By using the same mixture, you’ll only need to clean one mixing bowl after making these. (Yes, I know. I love that too.) The mixture is made of flour, sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter. That’s it. I’m pretty sure a lot of people have these ingredients in their pantry.
Once you’ve got the cookie mixture and the custard, all you have to do is put it together and plop it into your oven at 180C. Because the custard softens from the heat, you’ll need to let the bars cool completely and chill them for another 30 minutes in the fridge before cutting. If the bars are still warm, they’ll fall apart. Finally, sprinkle the bars with some grated coconut (optional) before serving and you’re good to go.
- 400 mL full fat coconut milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2½ Tbsp corn starch
- 225 g all-purpose flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 175 g brown sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter, melted
- grated coconut, for decorating (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a simmer.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, caster sugar and corn starch until mixed evenly.
- Slowly pour 1/3 of the simmering coconut milk into the yolk mixture, while whisking.
- Pour back the egg mixture into the coconut milk and place the saucepan back on medium heat.
- Keep heating the mixture while stirring until a thick custard is formed.
- Pour the custard in a bowl and cover with cling film. Make sure the cling film is touching the custard to prevent a film from forming. Let the custard cool completely.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C and line a square baking tray with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder and brown sugar.
- Add the melted butter and mix until a crumbly mixture has formed.
- Press little over ½ of the mixture in the bottom of the baking tray.
- Pour in the custard and spread out evenly.
- Scatter the remaining crumble mixture evenly over the custard.
- Bake the bars 45 minutes at 180C or until the crumbles start to brown.
- Let the bars cool completely. Then cool for another 30 minutes in the fridge. Cut into bars and serve with some grated coconut.