Snappy chunks of dark 85% chocolate, topped with sweet cranberries and a snow of grated coconut. Perfect as a last-minute edible Christmas gift.
Christmas week!! Holidays get me so excited. Especially this week, because, as I mentioned on my Facebook page, I’ll be sharing a few (last minute) edible gift ideas with you guys everyday. Yes, every.day. Last year I shared just 1 idea (check the homemade muffin mix if you missed it), but this year I’m taking it to the next level. This way you’ll have plenty of ideas to pick from. As a foodie, I just love giving edible gifts. They’re easy, delicious and if you wrap it nicely, it looks super fancy too. Today, I’ll be sharing my version of dark chocolate bark, holiday style. Snappy, sweet, full of texture and with a hint of bitter. Chocoholics: you’re going to love this.
This bark is so easy, you’ll only need 3 ingredients: dark chocolate, cranberries and coconut. Be sure to use good quality chocolate. I used 85% dark chocolate, but if you feel like this is too bitter 70% or 50% is good too. Personally, I feel like cranberries and coconut fit best with dark chocolate, but nothing’s stopping you to try milk chocolate or white chocolate. Really, nothing.
To get a snappy bark, you’ll need tempered chocolate. Don’t worry, it sounds more difficult than it actually is. There are just a few simple steps and I’m here to talk you through it:
- Chop the chocolate and chunks and set aside 1/4 of the chocolate.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in a small bowl on top of a pot of hot water. Melt until you have a few small chunks left. Then, remove the bowl from the pan taking care no water gets into the bowl.
- Take the 1/4 chocolate you set aside and stir in one chunk at a time. Add the next piece of chocolate once the previous has melted completely.
- Keep adding and stirring until all chocolate has been added or a piece of chocolate won’t melt and incorporate anymore. Remove that last piece and pour the rest of the chocolate in your mould.
Once you’ve got your tempered chocolate, all you have to do is sprinkle it with your toppings. That’s it! Let the bark cool completely and chop or break it into chunks to serve (or wrap). Happy giving! 🙂
Are you giving any edible gifts this year?
- 300 dark chocolate (85%), chopped
- 100 g dried cranberries
- 50 g grated coconut
- Line a shallow baking tray with a piece of baking paper. Set aside.
- Melt 225 g of the dark chocolate au bain marie. Remove from heat and add remaining chocolate one by one to the melted chocolate. Add the next piece of chocolate when the precious has melted completely. (Temper the chocolate, see post above.)
- Pour the melted chocolate in the baking tray.
- Scatter the cranberries and coconut on top, pressing it lightly into the chocolate mixture.
- Let the chocolate cool completely before cutting/breaking into chunks and wrapping.