Amazing deluxe grilled cheese sandwich with avocado, tomato and spinach. Creamy, crunchy, melty cheese sandwiches. These sandwiches are infused with garlic- and parsley butter and are perfect for a lazy -but good- lunch.
I love making “special” lunches. Especially, when I’ve got some extra time on hand. I’m not sure about you guys, but “Peanut Butter-n-Jelly” is just a bit too boring to me. One of my new favorite lunches is this garlic- and parsley butter infused grilled cheese sandwiches. I got the inspiration from my trip in Seoul, where I tried some garlic toast at Paris Baguette. I loved the garlic flavor, but was so disappointed when I tasted the sugar they had sprinkled on top. Sweet garlic toast?! It’s not my cup of tea. However, that particular piece of toast did inspire me to make a savory spin off with grilled cheese. A deluxe grilled cheese sandwich with plenty of veggies. Easy, creamy and so so delicious. Regular grilled cheese will be too plain for you after you’ve tried this 😉
So for the grilled cheese sandwich, I used a few slices of sandwich bread. Sandwich bread has a square shape and its purpose is to make sandwiches look pretty. If you have other bread on hand: go for it 😉 As you can see I went for white bread. The reason for this is that I can’t process whole wheat (sorry if this is TMI). Feel free to go for healthy whole wheat bread though. 🙂 Oh and don’t forget: stale bread works well for grilled cheese sandwiches too. (yay!)
Furthermore, you will need some spinach (as much or little as you’d like), a ripe avocado (I’ve been loving avocado for lunch since this cilantro lime grilled chicken sandwich), a few slices of tomato (again, as much or little as you’d like) and heaps of cheese. Use your favorite grated melty cheese. Mine’s a combination of Edam and Mozzarella cheese. I use it in all my melty cheese recipes (like these Asian Style Nachos and Cheesy Chicken Spinach Quesedillas. Yum! ♥
To make the sandwich, all you have to is assemble the lot and brush it with garlic parsley butter. The garlic parsley butter is what makes this grilled cheese sandwich banging. The butter is easily made by mixing melted butter with grated garlic and finely chopped parsley. It’s important to use grated garlic, because chopped garlic will easily turn into burnt and bitter speckles. You don’t want that. Once assembled, grill the sandwich 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown (and the cheese is melted). If you don’t have a grill pan, you could also use:
- a sandwich maker (according to sandwich maker instructions)
- an oven (2-3 minutes at 180 C on each side)
- a regular skillet (2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown), no grill marks
Serve the sandwich with some (homemade) fries and your favorite drink. OR go for a healthier option and serve with a bowl of yoghurt with chunks of fruit and a smoothie. Either way, it will be a perfect lunch. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic, grated
- 2 tsp parsley, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 handfuls of melty cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat (or use a sandwich maker).
- Using the microwave, melt the butter. (Takes about 30-40 sec. depending on your microwave.)
- Add the grated garlic and chopped parsley. Mix and set aside.
- Take a slice of bread and top it with a handful of cheese, chunks of avocado, a handful of spinach and some sliced of tomato. Top it off with another slice of bread.
- Brush the top slice of bread with some of the garlic- and parsley butter.
- Place the sandwich butter-side down in the grill pan and brush the other side with garlic- and parsley butter.
- Grill the sandwich until both sides are golden brown (should take 2-3 minutes each side).
- Repeat same steps for the other sandwich.