Tender chicken patties flavored with smoked paprika, cumin and chili. Amazing on a burger-bun with mayonnaise, BBQ-sauce, melted cheddar and veggies. Chili is optional.
Last week, we finally got our be-lated Christmas weather. Snow fell from the sky and people were ice-skating on the streets. Yup, you read that right. ON.THE.STREETS! I’m not joking. The streets turned into a skating rink. (Which is kinda cool to be honest.) It was really good to see all the kids go out and play instead of staying inside with an iphone/ipad in their hands. The bad weather did mean I wasn’t able to go to work though. At my first attempt to leave for work, my car slipped and slide while turning left. There was no stopping to it, but thankfully there was no damage. However, I did decide it wasn’t safe at that point. So I turned back home and took the day off. Little did I know I wasn’t able to go to work for 3 days… Roads weren’t safe and the weather was very unpredictable. Le sigh. No work done for 3 days straight! Luckily, every cloud has a silver lining. In this case, my silver lining was lunch. As I mentioned before, days off = homemade special lunch. And last week was burger lunch.
So far I’ve shared two burger recipes with you guys: a fish burger with tartare sauce and a vegetarian cheeseburger made from chickpeas. Today, I’ll be adding a chicken burger to this list. I love chicken and I love making burgers. Burgers are so easy to make and you can add just about anything to make them extra delicious! This chicken burger is even better than the other burgers, because there are barely any ingredients and these patties don’t need chilling either! Yup, you can mix the ingredients and throw the patties straight in a hot pan. No waiting. Isn’t that awesome? I know. You’re welcome 😉
To flavor the chicken patties, you’ll need just three spices: smoked paprika, cumin and chili. The latter is optional and totally adjustable to taste. The other two have to be in your burgers. No questions asked. You could substitute the smoked paprika with regular paprika powder, but I feel like the smokey flavor does add some Oomph to these burgers. It’s up to you though. As for the chili powder, ½ tsp is barely spice and 1 tsp is mildly spicy. Ofcourse, if you like super spicy, you’re welcome to add ½-1 tsp more. It’s completely up to you. I’m not responsible for any mouths that catch fire though 😛
The patties need 5-7 minutes on each side in a pan on medium-high heat. Obviously, cooking-time depends on the thickness of your patties. The thicker you make the patties, the longer they need to cook. Take care the patties are fully cooked through, as chicken is never served pink. After cooking, you can build the burger exactly the way you want. I like to slap on some mayonnaise, BBQ-sauce, fried onions, cheddar and vegetables. Just about anything you like is fine though. Burgers are practically fool-proof. Serve with a salad, potatoes or homemade fries and you’ve got yourself a beautiful meal.
Which burger would you go for: fish, vegetarian or chicken?
- 500 g boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½-1 tsp chili powder*
- ½ tsp salt
- few dashes of white pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- 4 burger buns
- 50 g leafy greens
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices of cheddar
- ½ cucumber, in thin slices
- 4 tsp mayonnaise
- 4 tsp bbq sauce
- 4 tsp fried onions
- In a foodprocessor, pulse the chicken breasts until it's like minced meat**.
- Mix the minced chicken with the onion, smoked paprika, cumin, chili, salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture in four and shape them into patties.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Bake the chicken patties 5-7 minutes*** on each side or until golden brown and fully cooked through. Add the cheddar cheese during the last minute to make the cheese extra melty.
- Build the burger using the rest of the ingredients. Serve immediately.
- *depending on how spicy you want the burgers
- **finely minced meat results in burgers with less structure (good for kids)
- ***depending on the thickness of your patties