Super easy and simple sweet and sour chicken on a sandwich. It’s practically Chinese take-out for lunch! Serve with fresh cut cucumber and plenty of cilantro.
As some of you must know, lunch is something I spend quite some of my free time on. Now, I already have quite a few lunch recipes in my Recipe Index and a while back I shared some of my favorite lunches with you guys. Today I’ll be adding another lunch recipe to my repertoire. Yes, another. I just love lunch. Can you tell?
Today’s recipe is inspired by a classic Chinese take-out favorite: Sweet and sour chicken. This sandwich is super easy, super simple and tastes just like Chinese take-out on a sandwich. Maybe even better. This sandwich is best served with juicy pineapple, crunchy cucumber and fresh cilantro.
What’s your favorite Chinese take-out dish?
- 400 g chicken breast, cubed
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ Tbsp light soy sauce
- 75 mL water, boiled
- 35 mL white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp candied ginger
- 2 Tbsp oil, for cooking
- 1 french bread, cut in 4
- ½ cucumber, cut lengthwise
- 1 small can pineapple chunks, drained
- cilantro (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the chicken breast with cornstarch and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, tomato puree, sugar and candied ginger with the boiled water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown and fully cooked through.
- Add the sauce and cook until it's thick and coats the chicken.
- Assemble the sandwiches with chicken, cucumber, chunks of pineapple and coriander. Serve immediately.
- For extra flavor add onions and a bell pepper.