Healthy stuffed tomatoes with a filling of zucchini and chickpeas, and a cheesy breadcrumb topping. Great way to get your daily dose of vitamins. Must-try for tomato-lovers. Ready in 30 minutes!
Happy New Year, guys!! Hope you had a good and safe one 😉 I had dinner with my family first and then spend the rest of the evening at home with my bf. I prefer my new year’s eve less hectic than most people. We enjoyed drinks, food and a great view of fireworks. Just the way I like it. How about you?
Anyway, I’m kicking off 2016 with a healthy vegetarian recipe. Yup, VEGETARIAN! Although I love my veggies, I rarely make a complete vegetarian dish. I have just a few vegetarian recipes of which these perfect spinach omelette wraps are most popular. I mean, healthy? Yes! I’m all in. Like this awesome Moroccan Quinoa Salad. But even that recipe has a bit of chicken in it. I love my meats. Today’s dish is awesome too though. (If I may say so myself.) Especially if you love tomatoes. These stuffed tomatoes are packed with flavor and covered in a delicious cheesy breadcrumb topping. And don’t worry, it’s ready in 30 minutes.
What healthy recipe are you making this week?
- 6 large tomatoes, washed
- 1 small zucchini, washed and cut in cubes
- 1 small can chick peas (150g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp oil, for cooking
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp powdered vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and get a baking tray ready.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the pulp. Set aside the tomatoes with tops.
- In a pan, heat the oil to medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and fry until golden and fragrant.
- Add the zucchini and cook until halfway cooked through.
- Add the chickpeas, stock and herbs. Stir until mixed and remove from heat.
- Divide the vegetable mixture over the tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the breadcrumb topping.
- Divide the breadcrumb mixture over the tomatoes.
- Bake the tomatoes 20-30 minutes at 180 C or until golden brown and tomatoes are soft. Add the tomato tops to the oven during the last 10 minutes.*
- Serve immediately.
- * Adding tomato tops is optional.