Lovely spiced loaf cake made with butter and stuffed with chocolate chips. This cake is perfect for fall. It will ease you into the holiday spirit.
My gosh guys, it’s already freezing cold again in The Netherlands! Haha, okay, I admit: I’m cold quite fast; we’re not even halfway Autumn yet and I’ve already pulled all my sweaters out of the closet. What to do when it’s actually winter? Wear even more layer, I guess? Might arrive at work like a Michelin Man by that time lol. Thank goodness there are also good things about this season. Beautiful things like baking. Like this spice loaf cake I baked last weekend. This cake will get you in the festive mood, guaranteed.
To be honest, this cake isn’t really that special compared to my other loaf cake recipes, because I used the same ingredients and just added spices and chocolate chips. Quite original, right? -not- Okay, so not very original. BUT this cake sure is good. Just like my other cake recipes, this cake is very fluffy and buttery. The only difference is that the spices cut the sweetness of the cake. It’s perfect for people who don’t like their cake too sweet. And even chocoholics will love this cake; there are plenty of chocolate chips inside. (Still craving MORE chocolate?) So good with a cup of tea. And yes, should you wonder: I do love just about anything with a cup of tea.
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 150 g semisweet chocolate chips
- 115 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 125 g sour cream, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a loaf tin with baking paper (or butter and flour). Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Take a tablespoon of the flour mixture and mix it with the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One by one, beat in the eggs. Add the next egg when the previous egg has been completely mixed.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until evenly mixed.
- Add the floured chocolate chips and fold it into the batter.
- Pour the batter in the loaf tin and bake the cake 50-60 minutes at 180C or until a caketester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool 5-10 minutes before removing from the loaf tin.