Easy DIY TO-GO oatmeal mixture with freeze-dried berries. Healthy breakfast to make ahead when you know you’ll have little time to make a nutritious breakfast in the morning. Completely adjustable to taste.
We’re probably all familiar with the morning rush. And no, I don’t mean the traffic rush, but the rush to get ready for whatever you’ve got planned for the day. If you’re anything like me, you’d rather roll around in that warm comfy bed some few extra minutes than put more time and effort in a (nutritious) breakfast. But today, I’ve got THE solution: breakfast on the go; a dry oatmeal mixture with delicious fruits, which you can make ahead of time and takes just a few seconds. And once you’re ready to eat, all you need to do is add some boiling water and your breakfast is ready. Isn’t that great? I know.
For this mixture, I used regular oats (which go for 40 cents per kilo at my local supermarket. cheap!), skim milk powder and freeze-dried fruits. You can substitute skim milk powder with soy milk powder if you’re vegetarian or lactose intolerant. As for the freeze-dried fruits, regular dried fruits are okay too. The texture will be different from the freeze-dried fruits though (regular dried fruits are more chewy). Also, if you want a super-healthy breakfast, make sure you get the regular dried fruits without added sugar. Most dried fruits are PACKED with sugar and taste like toothache, nothing like fruit anymore. Talking about sugar, I never add sugar to my oatmeal. However, if you really can’t stand the taste of unsweetened oatmeal, feel free to add 1-2 tsp sugar (or use stevia).
To make this mixture, I used a paper to-go cup. As I can place the cup in the cup-container in my car, I know it won’t spill. However, if you need to go by other transportation, it’s best to use a vacuum sealed travel tumbler to prevent the mixture from spilling in your bag. I wrote this recipe as a 1 portion-size, but you can also make this in bulk and scoop some mixture into a mug when you need it. Whatever you want. I like making 1-portion sizes as it allows me to eat different (fruit) flavors everyday 😀 Variation is key for me.
Ideas for flavor combinations:
- dried goji berries, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
- dried apricots, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- dried cranberries and (salted) pecan chunks
- dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and (dark) chocolate chips
- dried bananas, hazelnuts and raisins
- freeze-dried cherries and sliced almonds
- freeze-dried cherries and pistachios
- freeze-dried raspberries, sliced almonds and (dark) chocolate chips
- hazelnuts, walnuts and raisins
- roasted coconut flakes, dried pineapple and almond chunks
- roasted coconut flakes, dried mango, cranberries and almond chunks
Let your imagination go crazy! The options are endless…..
What ideas do you have for flavor combinations?
- 4 Tbsp oats
- 2 Tbsp (skim) milk powder*
- 2-3 Tbsp (freeze)dried fruits and/or nuts**
- In a to-go cup or travel tumbler, mix the desired ingredients.***
- When ready to eat: fill the cup with boiling water. Let the mixture soak for 2 minutes. Stir thoroughly and enjoy!
- * or soy milk powder
- ** see text for flavor combinations
- *** store the cup in a dry and cool place.