Gluten free vanilla cookies with a very crumbly texture. These cookies have a delicious meringue-like texture and melt on your tongue like butter.
Last week my friend sent me a picture of her homemade “Gomma cookies“. She told me, the recipe for her thick crumbly cookies finds its origin in Surinam. As a response, I told her I was going to make cornstarch cookies: very crumbly merginue-like vanilla cookies, also from Surinam. Little did I know that gomma cookies and cornstarch cookies are exactly the same. Beautiful crumbly cookies topped with a whole lot of funfetti. The cookies are slightly sweet and melt like butter on your tongue.. You will love these.
So these cookies are so easy to make, but they’re nothing like your ordinary cookies: the texture is unique. You will need 5 basic ingredients:
- an egg
- vanilla extract
Actually, there’s a sixth optional ingredient: funfetti. Now, I would prefer to scrap the optional-part, because funfetti makes everything better! However, I do realize some of you might not have funfetti on hand, so I decided to let you guys know the funfetti is actually optional ^_~
These cornstarch cookies aren’t just easy, they’re an one-bowl-wonder! You will start by whisking your egg, sugar and vanilla. Then, you’ll switch to a wooden spoon a incorporate the butter and cornstarch. Finally, you will form the cookies and decorate it with funfetti (and some more funfetti)
To form the cookies, you have two options: The lazy one and the a-little-bit-more-fancy-schmancy-one. If you’re feeling lazy: form balls from the batter and press them down lightly. Should you have a little more time on hand: Mix your batter with 2-3 teaspoons of water to make it a little less thick. Transfer your batter to a piping bag with your desired nozzle and slowly pipe your cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake the cookies at 160C and let them cool completely for crunchy crumbly goodie-ness! 😉
- 1 medium egg
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 200 g cornstarch
- 2-3 tsp water*
- Funfetti for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- In a large bowl, whick the egg, sugar and vanilla extract until completely combined.
- Add the butter and cornstarch to the mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix until you get a thick batter.
- Form balls and press lightly on top/Pipe the batter on a cookie sheet.**
- Decorate the cookies with funfetti and bake for 20-30 minutes at 160C.***
- Let the cookies cool completely.
- *You will only need this if you want to pipe the batter.
- **If you want to pipe the cookies, mix 2-3 tsp of water with the mixture.
- ***Piped cookies take 10-15 minutes at 160C.