Healthy quinoa salad with honey-soy grilled chicken. This salad has sweet, savoury, zesty and crunchy all in one! Have this salad for lunch or as a light dinner.
I have a confession to make: I love Quinoa. Okay, so I know what you’re probably thinking,: hipster much? But the texture of this grain is seriously delicious you guys. Besides, quinoa is rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals too. On top of that, it’s really easy and quick to cook; just 10 minutes! And let’s be honest here, who doesn’t love some extra time on hands? Now, don’t get me wrong, I still love my daily bowl of rice. But I think my love is big enough for two 😉 Today, I will be sharing my favorite quinoa dish with you guys: Honey Soy Grilled Chicken Quinoa Salad, a fool-proof recipe.
So there are a couple of important components to this (once again) super easy (promise!) dish: the crunchy (almonds), the tangy (oranges and sun dried tomatoes), and the sweet and savory (grilled chicken). Now, marinating the chicken is the step that takes the most time. No worries though, because it’s very easy too: You will start by mixing the soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a zip-loc bag. Then you will let the chicken have a nice bath in the marinade for at least 1 hour. In the mean time, prep the other ingredients. Once your chicken has taken up the delicious marinade, grill it, shred it and set it aside.
Cooking quinoa might be even easier than marinating the chicken. What you have to remember is: quinoa has to cook in twice it’s volume in liquid. Print this in your memory and you will have no trouble cooking quinoa. The quinoa takes about 10 minutes to cook.
Once you’ve got the chicken and the quinoa going, all you have to do is cut up the oranges and sun dried tomatoes. Then, all that remains is to toss up your ingredients and sprinkle the almonds on top before serving. This salad tastes best served fresh, but I love making this ahead for lunch at work too. Take you pick and enjoy~ ^^
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 cm ginger, grated
- 300 g chicken breast
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 200 g mixed greens
- 5-6 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 juicy oranges, cut in pieces*
- handful of almonds
- Flatten the chicken with a rolling pin to make it evenly thick. Set aside.
- In a zip-loc bag, mix the soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger.
- Marinate the chicken in the mixture for at least 1 hour in the fridge, turning the bag around at halfway.
- Cook the quinoa in the vegetable stock until the water is evaporated. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a grill pan on high heat. Add oil if your pan needs is.
- Take the chicken out the marinade and add it to the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through.
- Take the chicken out the pan and shred it using two forks.
- Toss the quinoa, chicken, mixed greens, sun-dried tomatoes and pieces of orange.
- Top with almonds and serve immediately or store in fridge (without almonds).
- *Cut the oranges above your salad bowl to catch the delicious juices in the salad.