Kruidnoten whipped cream cake for Sinterklaas, a Dutch holiday. This cake is light and fluffy, decorated with whipped cream, kruidnoten (Dutch cookies) and chocolate sprinkles! Substitute kruidnoten with Biscoff or gingersnaps.
Aaaand we’re at Sinterklaas cake no 3! Today’s recipe is a very simple one. Especially compared to the kruidnoten cake pie and the kruidnoten apple cake bars. The Sinterklaas cake I’m sharing with you guys today is a kruidnoten whipped cream cake and it consists of only four simple components:
Yes, chocolate sprinkles!
About the sponge cake
A while back I shared my sponge cake recipe with you guys. It’s my go-to recipe. I never use any other sponge recipe. It’s the ultimate sponge recipe if you ask me: The cake is light, fluffy and perfect for any flavor of cake you want to make. In addition, the recipe is really super simple. I urge you to try it. Nothing beats homemade. You can even make the sponge one day ahead and store it in an airtight container. Just make sure you cut it right before assembling because the cake will dry out faster when you cut it ahead of time. If you don’t have time to make a sponge cake from scratch use a box of cake mix or buy a pre-made sponge cake. The latter one tends to be quite dry though.
First, let’s talk whipped cream. Whipped cream is one of the best kinds of cake if you ask me. The light fluffy texture beats any buttercream cake. In addition to being delicious, it’s also very easy to make whipped cream. The first time might be a bit intimidating but I’ve got a complete post with tips on making perfect whipped cream to guide you.
Then there’s the kruidnoten and chocolate sprinkles. As I’ve mentioned before, you can swap the kruidnoten for Biscoff or ginger snaps. As for the chocolate sprinkles: it’s completely optional. If you’re not a fan of chocolate sprinkles you can also use toasted almond flakes, nougatine or (if you’re a REALLY BIG kruidnoten fan) kruidnoten crumbs.
- 1 20cm sponge cake*
- 600 mL whipping cream (min 30% fat), cold
- 4-6 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 250 g kruidnoten, processed to a fine powder (+whole ones for decorating)
- chocolate sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl, whip the whipping cream until frothy.
- Gradually add the confectioner's sugar while whipping. Add confectioner's sugar to taste.
- Whip the whipping cream until firm. Set aside.
- Cut the sponge cake in three slices.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream and kruidnoten powder between each layer.
- Cover the entire cake with whipped cream.
- Decorate the sides with chocolate sprinkles and finish the cake with more kruidnoten and whipped cream.
- * Mentioned prep time includes making a homemade sponge cake.
- ** Check my post on how to whip cream for tips for the perfect whipped cream.