Soft baked hazelnut cookies with a slight cocoa flavor and stuffed with NUTELLA. Super easy, no chill dough and super gooey on the inside.
I think there are very little people in the world who don’t like Nutella. There aren’t many in my social circle that don’t like Nutella anyway. Actually, I think everyone in my circle likes Nutella. Except for my dad maybe. He likes his food savory. Savory and very well salted 😉 Today’s recipe is not for people like my dad. Nope, today, all other people are in for a treat! Nutella lovers, chocolate lovers, people with a sweet tooth, cookie monsters.. You will all love this. Because today, I’m sharing the ULTIMATE cookie ever with you guys. Seriously, my taste testers went crazy over these. One of my testers even put her no-sweets-diet aside for a day just for my cookies! (Sorry for ruining your diet.) The best comment I got? “It’s like a little surprise hidden in every cookie.” Everything a
girl baker needs to hear. I can’t even tell you how excited -no scratch that- ECSTATIC I am to share these cookies with you guys. They’re dead easy (really) and SO GOOD. One batch won’t be enough.
Obviously, the best thing to these cookies is the Nutella core; a gooey core that stays gooey even after cooling. I like to compare it with lava cake. It might seem like a tricky thing to do, but all you need to do is freeze up some Nutella. That’s it. I used a silicone mini-cupcake mold for perfect evenly sized Nutella cores, but you can easily drop a heaping teaspoon of Nutella on a non-stick baking sheet and pop that in the freezer. Nutella is quite firm, so it will hold its shape when you drop it on a sheet. Once frozen, encase each Nutella core with some chocolate cookie dough and you’re ready to go. No chilling, no waiting. Immediate baking.
- 11 tsp Nutella
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 10 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 80 g unsalted butter, melted
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 80 g hazelnuts, chopped
- Drop teaspoons of Nutella on a baking sheet or put them in a mini cupcake tray. Freeze until solid. (30-60 min*)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the melted butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture and the hazelnuts.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into balls with a frozen piece of Nutella in the center. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Place the dough balls a few centimeters apart on a silicone baking mat and slightly flatten the cookies.
- Bake the cookies 12 minutes at 180C. Let the cookies cool about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- *The Nutellas don't have to be rock-solid. They should just be hard enough to process into the cookie dough.