Buttery moist orange pound cake, packed with real orange flavor! Serve this in thick slices with a hot beverage and you’re set.
Pound cake is one of my favorite kind of recipes to bake; it’s quick, easy and takes just a few go-to ingredients. If you’re looking for something yummy, but don’t want the fuss: pound cake is your friend. Just like today’s orange pound cake recipe. It’s super easy, moist AND delicious! What more could you want? (Okay, maybe cinnamon rolls would be nice too…)
So I wrote today’s recipe, because (surprise surprise) I had some oranges lying around for too long. (Yes I know, I write recipes based on scraps all the time XD) I really hate wasting food so I decided to throw the oranges in a recipe before mould could ruin the party. Now, using both the juice and zest, is what makes this cake oh so fragrant and tasty! You’ll almost feel like you’re eating an orange. But better. (And less healthy, but who’s watching. It’s yummy. That’s what counts, right? 😉 ) Additionally, I added a little bit of orange liqueur for a little extra-flavor, but if you don’t want to -or can’t- use liqueur, by all means omit it. It’ll be just as good. Promise. 😀
Finally, the sour cream. Sour cream is the key ingredient to make this cake super moist. If you don’t have this on hand, substitute it with:
- Plain yoghurt
- Greek yoghurt
- 120 mL milk + ½ Tbsp white vinegar (=mock buttermilk)
Easy, huh? Oh and if you’re not an orange-lover or you’re looking for more varieties on pound cakes, try the lemon glazed(!) vanilla poundcake or blueberry poundcake. You’ll love it! That is, if you’re not allergic to one of the ingredients (let’s hope not) ^^”
- 190 all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp of baking powder
- 1/8 tsp of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 115 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 2 oranges
- 125 g sour cream
- 80 mL fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a cake tin with baking paper*.
- In a bowl, shortly mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the second egg when the first is mixed in completely.
- Mix until the batter is fluffy (± 2 min-4 min)
- Add orange zest, sour cream, orange juice and orange liqueur and mix until evenly distributed.
- Add the flour mixture and fold until just combined taking care not to overmix.
- Bake the cake 50 minutes at 180 C or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool 5-10 minutes before removing from the cake tin.
- *Or use butter and flour.