Beautiful soft red velvet cupcakes with lush cream cheese frosting! A combination of chocolate and vanilla in a recipe for two persons. That’s right, no leftovers to binge on or to throw out 😉
I love to bake and I love to eat. So does my boyfriend. Well, he loves my baking anyway and he definitely loves to eat. I have only seen him bake something once or twice :’) However, sometimes our love for eating is just no match for my love to bake and cook. We have a freezer stuffed with three kinds of muffins. I believe we have a few other bake leftovers too :’) (Freezer = my best friend) So when I craved for red velvet cupcakes, I decided to experiment a two person recipe. Or as I’d also like to call them: No guilt red velvet cupcakes 😀 No waste, no leftovers to binge on. It doesn’t get any more perfect!
For these cupcakes you’ll only need a few ingredients. Eggs are not on the list, so you don’t have to check if you have some in the fridge 😉 You do need the standard red velvet ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Additionally, you’ll need some oil, milk, vinegar and baking soda. That’s it. All you have to do is mix these to a batter and then bake them into two beautiful cupcakes. The batter shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes and baking will take about 20 minutes. (Feel free to do other stuff while baking though ^_~)
As for the frosting, you’ll need just a couple of minutes! That is, if you remember to take the butter and cream cheese out before starting on the cupcakes. If you forgot to, no worries: cut everything into small cubes and leave it for 30 minutes. Once the butter and cream cheese are softened, all you have to do is mix it to a smooth thick mixture. If you have a mixer, you have practically no work to do! Frost the cooled cupcakes the way you want (I’m not really exciting when it comes to frosting) and you’re done. Easy as pie. ^^
- 15 g vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp + ¾ tsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- red food coloring (optional)
- 3 Tbsp + ¾ tsp all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 90 g confectioner's sugar (sifted)
- 15 g unsalted butter, softened
- 40 g cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and put two cupcake liners in the center holes of a muffin tray.
- In a bowl, mix the oil, sugar, milk, vinegar and vanilla. Add a few drops of red food coloring and mix (if desired). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and fold until just mixed.
- Divide the batter over the cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes 18-20 minutes at 170 C or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Mix all the frosting ingredients until you get a smooth thick mixture.