Simple, no-fuss beef stew infused with Asian flavors. A bowl of soft tender meat mixed with carrots and silky pieces of bean curd.
Asian beef stew is a dish that has countless of variations. My grandma (and thus my dad) makes one of the best beef stews in my opinion. Today, I wanted to share my version of Asian beef stew. As usual, it’s super simple yet delicious. The best part about this dish is that it can be made ahead ánd that it’s a one-pot wonder (who hates doing lots of dishes too? -___-). And did I mention this recipe is freezer-proof too? Yes, I know. Awesome, right? Me and my boyfriend eat this dish on a regular basis (mostly with white rice and Chinese egg custard) because it’s so easy to make. And it’s not just easy, but my boyfriend really loves this dish too. Whenever I stop making it for awhile, he actually requests it.
Anyway, as I’m having so much fun filming and editing (food) videos, I thought it would be fun to do another video recipe. Just like the 10 min pizza slice sandwich. I hope you enjoy and please subscribe for more 🙂
Which dish of your country is simple yet delicious?
- 600 g Chuck Shoulder, cut in cubes
- 4 sticks of bean curd, soaked and cut in three
- 150-200 g baby carrots, peeled
- 2 yellow onions, cut in chunks
- 1½ Tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1½ Tbsp Shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine)
- 1 tsp Chinese five spices
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 3 dashes of pepper
- 240-360 mL water
- oil for cooking
- In a large pan, heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add the meat and sear all sides.
- Add the bean curd and sauce (soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, five spices, sesame oil and pepper). Stir until mixed evenly.
- Pour in enough water to cover all the meat and bring the water to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer (stew) for three hours.
- After three hours, add the carrots and stew for another hour. At this stage, make sure there's still enough water in the pan (stew covered about halfway).
- Serve immediately with white rice or cover and let it cool down.