Delicious rich and gooey chocolate lava cake. Just enough for one. Or maybe for two if you’re trying to eat less 😉 Suitable for vegans.
May I present to you: The result of my endless attempts at making a single serve lava cake recipe. If you follow me on Instagram, you might’ve seen some of my failures pop up. It took me about 7 cakes until I got it right, but I finally have the perfect single serve lava cake for you guys. Rich chocolate flavor with a gooey liquid core. Addictively good. And I even went an extra mile and made it vegan!
To make this cake you’ll need some butter, chocolate, milk, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. The latter is optional. For the butter, I used vegan butter. If you’re not vegan, you can sub it with regular unsalted butter. As for the chocolate, use a dairy-free kind. I love using good dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa, but if you want the cake to be more “milky” (=less chocolaty) you can definitely go for semi sweet or even (vegan) milk chocolate. And finally: the milk. I used unsweetened soy milk, but you can basically sub it with any kind of plant-based milk. Almond or cashew are great alternatives. If you want to use coconut milk, you’ll have to keep in mind the lava cake will have a slight coconut flavor.
Once you’ve got the batter, you’ll have to bake the lava cake about 9 minutes at 200C. I used a thin wall ramekin. If you’ve got a ramekin with thick walls, the cake might take a bit longer. The top of the cake should be solid, but the cake will wobble a bit when you give it a light shake. After baking, give the cake 2 minutes to set before inverting onto a plate. Serve immediately.
- 7 g dark chocolate*
- 9 g unsalted vegan butter
- 50 mL unsweetened soy milk**, room temperature
- 20 g caster sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 20 g all-purpose flour
- 14 g cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Also butter a ramekin with vegan butter and dust it with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a bowl, heat the chocolate and butter in a microwave until melted.***
- Mix in the soy milk and sugar. The mixture might look curdled.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir until mixed evenly.
- Transfer the batter to the ramekin.
- Bake the lava cake 9 minutes at 200C. Let the cake cool 2 minutes before inverting onto a plate. Serve immediately.
- * I used 78%.
- ** Or any other vegan milk of choice. Coconut milk will change the flavor.
- *** Mine took 40s at 600W.