Rich sour cream cake stuffed with strawberry jam and chocolate, topped with fresh strawberries and chocolate chips.
Aaand we’re halfway the week! That means I’ve got a new recipe for you guys. After multiple single serving recipes, I thought it was time for something bigger. So this time, I’m sharing a large coffee cake; suitable for at least 16 people. This coffee cake is made with sour cream, which makes it super moist and fluffy. In addition, this cake has a layer of strawberry and chocolate in between and is topped with plenty of fresh strawberries and chocolate chips. As many chocolate chips as you want!
To make this cake moist and fluffy, you’ll need sour cream. Sour cream helps the baking powder work its magic. Next to the sour cream and baking powder, you’ll need butter, sugar, flour and vanilla extract to make the cake. Also, don’t forget the strawberries and chocolate. I used my favorite strawberry jam, plenty of fresh strawberries and a lot of semi-sweet chocolate chips. A lot. But you can sandwich as much or little chocolate chips as you want.
For this cake, I used a square cake pan of 25cm. I poured half of the batter in pan and spread it over the bottom. Then, I spread some strawberry jam on top and scattered some chopped fresh strawberries and chocolate chips over the jam. Make sure you leave about 0,5-1cm of the edges free to prevent the filling from oozing out. Once you’ve added as much chocolate chips as you want, drop the rest of the batter on top and spread out into a even layer. Bake the cake 45-55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Finish the cake by brushing on some sugar water/syrup. This will keep the cake super moist. You can make sugar water/syrup heating a mixture of equal parts of sugar and water. I used about 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water.
- 450 g all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 210 g unsalted butter, softened
- 360 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 375 g sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g strawberry jam
- 250 g fresh strawberries, chopped
- 150 g semi-sweet chocolate chips (or more)
- 2-3 Tbsp sugar water/syrup*
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 25cm square baking tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one by one.
- In three parts, mix in the sour cream, vanilla extract and flour-mixture.
- Pour half of the batter in the baking pan and spread it out to and even layer.
- Spread the strawberry jam on top, while leaving about 0,5-1cm from the edges free.
- Scatter 3/4 of the strawberries and 3/4 of the chocolate chips on top.
- Drop the rest of the batter on top and spread out into an even layer.
- Scatter the remaining strawberries and chocolate on top. Press them lightly into the batter.
- Bake the cake 45-55 minutes at 180C or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Brush the cake with some sugar syrup.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- *Make sugar water by heating a mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp water until dissolved.