Super gooey chocolate cake with strawberry-chocolate lava oozing out. Super easy, just a few easy ingredients and baked in 15 minutes! Anyone can do this.
Another Monday, another week to make awesome things happen! What’d you guys do last week? Me and my boyfriend went indoor sky-diving last weekend. I got him the sky-diving for his birthday. I’m not much of an adventurous person, but I must admit sky-diving was quite awesome. Okay, the first two-sessions I bounced around with no control, but by the third and fourth session I sort-of got the hang of it. You should definitely try it out sometime! It’s not as scary as it looks. Promise! ^^
Anyway, in a few weeks it’s Valentine’s Day. Although I don’t “celebrate” Valentine’s Day, I thought it’d be nice to share a couple of recipes with you guys. Just in case you do celebrate Valentine’s Day or in case you just want a delicious dessert 😉 Today, is the first in my series of Valentine’s desserts. And it’s an awesome one: strawberry LAVA chocolate cake. Now, we all know chocolate + strawberries is the perfect combination for Valentine’s day. Turning this combination into a lava cake makes this recipe beyond perfect for Valentine’s day! And you know what? It’s SUPER easy. Not even kidding.
To make the strawberry lava centre, I froze some strawberry jam. It’s a simple trick, but adds an extra special feel to this dessert. You can use any kind of jam for this. Light or packed with sugar. You could even go for another flavor if you don’t like strawberry. Whatever floats your boat. I prefer a brand with quite a thick consistency. Drop the jam in two mini-cupcakes molds and freeze for at least 2 hours. Fill the molds all the way up to the brim. It ensures maximum strawberry lava. Also, silicone molds are best for this task. Silicone molds help you pop out the frozen jam without any effort.
Then, there’s the chocolate cake. This chocolate cake is super gooey and you’ll just need some chocolate, butter, egg, sugar, flour and salt. Simple, basic ingredients. To make the batter, first melt the chocolate and butter to a smooth mixture. Then, beat the egg and sugar until light and fluffy. The mixture will be a pale yellow color. Finally, mix in the flour and salt. And that’s it. Pour the batter into the ramekins, press in the strawberry core and pop the cakes into the oven. Once the cakes are cooked, let them cool for another 5 minutes to let the chocolate set slightly. This way your cakes will hold their shape beautifully. No-fail guaranteed. Serve the lava cakes with some fresh strawberries and you’ve got yourself the best Valentine’s dessert ever! Enjoy, lovebirds!
Do you have plans for Valentine’s Day yet?
- 70 g dark chocolate (72%)
- 40 g unsalted butter, +extra for buttering the ramekins
- 1 egg
- 35 g sugar
- 15 g flour, +extra for covering the frozen jam
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbsp strawberry jam
- Divide the strawberry jam over 2 mini-cupcake molds. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C and butter two ramekins. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate and butter au bain marie and stir until smooth. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and sugar until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes on medium speed with a handheld mixer.
- Slowly stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Mix the flour and salt and add the mixture to the chocolate batter. Stir until mixed evenly.
- Divide the batter evenly over the ramekins.
- Cover the frozen strawberry jams in some flour, press them in the batter and cover it with some batter.
- Bake the cakes 15 minutes at 175 degrees.
- Remove the lava cakes from the oven and let is cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert the lava cakes on two plates and decorate as desired. Serve immediately.