Thick, fluffy pancakes stuffed with warm plump blueberries. Egg-free and no dairy. Suitable for vegans. Serve with plenty of maple syrup.
Pancakes time!!! Who doesn’t love pancakes? I do. Except for the “healthy” banana egg pancakes. Have any of you tried it before? I’ve tried several times AND with all kinds of adaptations to the recipe, but it never tastes good. It’s just too banana-y and egg-y (which is kind of obvious seen the ingredients lol) for me. Super healthy’s just not my thing. Guess I’ll just live with the carbs and run an extra mile. Psssh… who am I kidding? I’ll just live with the carbs, period. Lol.
To make these pancakes, I substituted eggs for flaxseed eggs. I used the same trick for my vegan banana bread. It’s a trick that never seems to fail so far. Might try it on cookies too. Anyway, a flaxseed egg is just a mixture of flaxseed meal and water. When you set it aside for a while, it will thicken like a raw egg. I read on minimalist baker you can use it as an substitute for eggs so I’m trying that for vegan recipes now. I use a slightly different ratio than Dana (because it was easier and worked), but the method is the same.
Besides the flaxseed egg there isn’t much special about this recipe. I did substitute milk with soy milk to make the recipe vegan, but you can use any plant-based milk you like. Blueberries are optional, but I can’t stress enough how delicious warm plump blueberries are in pancakes. Any pancakes. Not just vegan ones. Really, try it. These vegan pancakes will be light, fluffy and quite thick. Add a small knob of vegan butter to make the pancakes extra creamy and don’t forget the maple syrup!
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 130 g all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 145 mL unsweetened soy milk*
- ½ Tbsp white vinegar
- 30 g blueberries (optional)
- vegan butter or vegetable oil, for cooking
- In a small bowl, mix the water and flaxseed meal. Set aside to thicken.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Create a well in the middle.
- Add the flaxseed-egg and soy milk. Mix until you have a thick batter.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Using a griddle on medium heat, bake the pancakes on one side until the surface becomes bubbly. Then, flip over and bake another 1-2 minutes.
- *or any other plant-based