Delicious Taiwanese sweet tea mixed with milk and chewy tapioca pearls.
Bubble tea is a drink I can never skip on. If you don’t know it yet, bubble tea is a sweet milk tea mixed with chewy tapioca pearls. It’s a delicious refreshing drink. In The Netherlands, there are only good bubble tea stores 2,5-3hrs away from the place I live. So whenever I go there, I have to get bubble tea. My boyfriend too by the way. Our favorite is the traditional milk tea. Besides the long drive, bubble tea isn’t one of the cheapest drinks you can buy either. Our stores sell them for €3,5-4. Equivalent to a small Starbucks frap. But did you know that this drink is actually super easy to make at home? And did you know it can be suitable for vegans too? Well now you do! And I’ll show you how.
- 5 bags Jasmin tea
- 200 mL boiled water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca pearls (or as much as you like)
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 100-150 mL unsweetened soymilk*
- 1 L water, for cooking
- extra water, for cooling tapioca pearls
- Fill a bowl with water and place it in the fridge. The amount doesn't really matter, but you''ll be using this water to stop the cooking process from the tapioca pearls later on.
- In a cup, put all five tea bags and pour in the boiled water. Let it soak for 10 min. Remove bags and let the tea cool down completely.
- In the mean time, bring a pot of water (1L) to a boil.
- Add the tapioca pearls slowly to the pan while stirring the water. This will prevent the tapioca from sticking together.
- Let the tapioca boil until they rise to the surface.
- Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to low. Let this cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat (leave lid on!) and let it rest for another 3 minutes or longer if you want a softer texture.
- Drain the water from the tapioca pearls and drop them in the cold water you put in the fridge earlier. Let this rest for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the tapioca pearls to a large cup.
- Add the maple syrup, strong tea and (soy)milk. Give the drink a good stir before serving. If you want to serve this with a straw, make sure you get the straws with a big opening or the tapioca pearls will clog the straw.
- *or any other (vegan) milk of your choice. Add as much or little as you like. More = milkier, less = more tea flavor.