Lovely fluffy banana muffins with a hint of coconut and topped with fragrant desiccated coconut. These muffins are vegan.
Happy Wednesday! We’re already halfway the week. And since it’s Wednesday, I’ve got a new recipe for you guys. I prepared a vegan muffin recipe for you guys. Today’s muffin is super fluffy (I love fluffy muffins), contains no dairy and is very fragrant. You’ll have a delicious coconut-banana scent lingering all around your house when you make these muffins. Even if you’re not vegan, you’ll like these muffins. And don’t worry, if you want to make your own kind of recipe: I’ve got you covered too.
To make these muffins you’ll need super ripe bananas. Always use super ripe bananas when you need it for baking. Ripe bananas are a lot sweeter and make your baked goods delicious moist. I used them in the best vegan banana bread, my peanut butter banana cupcakes and I use them in this recipe too.
In addition to the bananas, I subbed part of the oil with coconut cream. Do you know what coconut cream is? It’s gorgeous deliciousness in a can of cold coconut milk. In The Netherlands, the temperatures are quite low so I never need to store my coconut milk in the fridge to get coconut cream. However, if you live in a warm country: Put your coconut milk in the fridge overnight. When you open the can the next day, you’ll have a thick white coconut cream on the top. That’s what you need for these muffins. Carefully scoop it out. The remaining coconut water can be used in smoothies.
For the remainder of the recipe, there’s nothing fancy: I used soy milk instead of regular milk. But as usual, you can also use almond milk or another vegan milk. Instead of eggs I used flaxseed egg. Flaxseed egg is a mixture of ground flaxseed and water. It’s the same technique I used for my vegan banana bread. In addition to being a substitute for eggs, flaxseed eggs also add fibre.
- 2½ Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 Tbsp water
- 220 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 180 g caster sugar
- coconut cream from a small can (165mL) coconut milk
- 50 mL vegetable oil
- 30 mL soy milk*
- 1 tl coconut extract
- 40 g grated coconut (+extra for decorating)
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseed and water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Put the ripe bananas in a large bowl and puree the bananas.
- Add the sugar, flaxseed mixture, coconut cream, oil, soy milk and coconut extract. Whisk until well mixed.
- Add the flour mixture and grated coconut. Fold everything until just mixed.
- Divide the batter over the liners and scatter the grated coconut on top (optional).
- Bake the cupcakes 4 minutes at 220C. Lower the oven to 190C and bake another 8 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- * Or another kind of vegan milk